"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Queen of Hearts...

She Made Some Tarts
All on a Summer's Day

Well, I'm not a queen but I do love hearts and I did make some tarts and it is DEFINITELY still summer out there. Okay, I can tell what you're all thinking so let's just get this out of the way, shall we? I know. I've been m.i.a. for quite some time now and for that I apologize. BUT! Friends, in my defense I've been crazybusy. Like f0realz. I did miss you, though, and you were never far from my overworked mind. Now, I realize that busy is somewhat of a lame excuse but what if I told you that my busy-ness involved compiling new and fabulous recipes to share with all of my most ardent fans and avid readers? Would that help? Would you be more willing to forgive me? What? You don't believe me? You think I'm just lazy? That I've spent the last few weeks sleeping in and enjoying the slow pace of the unemployed life? Fine. Maybe I haven't been suuuper busy. And okay, so maybe I have reeeaaaally enjoyed not working and going to school at the same time. Sue me. Or not, since I have no funds with which to hire a good lawyer. Or any lawyer. Moving on. The honest truth is I just haven't felt inspired to write. Fortunately for you, I have felt inspired to bake! I've said it before and I'll say it again: Baking is my love language. It's how I care for people. And let's face it, nothing says lovin' like somethin' from the oven. Right? Right. And I've had lots of people to love on lately. Translation: I have lots of yummy recipes to share with you over the next few days.

I know I left you hanging last time with the promise of eclairs and cream puffs but, while I did make eclairs (it was my friend Jeff's one last going-away wish), I did not have the opportunity to get pics and I just don't like posting recipes without a good solid image to go along side. Sooooo, it seems as though I'll just have to redo them sometime soon. How sad. I have to make eclairs again. I tell you, it's a rough life I lead. Fear not, until then I have a bevy of recipes to blog about and I promise not to disappear on you for extended periods of time anymore. Since the last post I left you with was about a cake (oh, how I love that cake) I want to take us in a different direction this time. Our destination? The delicious land of tarts.

Now there are several things I love about tarts. First and foremost, they're just adorable. Whether they're piled high with sassy golden-brown spikes of meringue or topped with neat little rows of berries or drizzled with delicious dark chocolate sauce, tarts are just precious. Secondly, tart shells are always my first choice when it comes to crusts. Pie dough has this awful tendency to get soggy when sitting beneath most any filling, especially those with a custard base. But tart shells! Oh tart shells offer the best in texture AND flavor! They're sweet and crunchy and so easy to make that you'll never go back to pie dough again (but don't tell your friends because they'll think you slaved away in a hot kitchen all day long just for them and be uber impressed and tell everyone they know how awesome you are...you can thank me later). The tart I'm sharing with you today is one I made for a friend's housewarming recently and trust me when I say it was delish.

Now, without further ado, I'd like to introduce you to my dear friend, the chocolate-hazelnut meringue tart! We met about two months ago as I was reading through a cookbook by Rebecca Rather, aka The Pastry Queen (and let me tell you, when it comes to delicious baked goods Ms. Rather is definitely culinary royalty). It was love at first sight. Well technically there were no actual pictures of our tart friend, but just reading the description and ingredients conjured up strong enough emotions that I felt like I'd known her for years. My gut was right. She's fabulous. From her crunchy hazelnut and Frangelico tart shell to the deep dark chocolate ganache that sits inside to my personal favorite, the yummy mound of meringue that is her crowning glory, she is one lovely lady. So let's get started, shall we?

First let's preheat the oven to 350, then we'll gather all our ingredients.

For the crust you'll need:
1/3 cup hazelnuts
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter @ room temp.
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tsp (or if you're like me, 3 or 4) Frangelico
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup all purpose flour

For the ganache you'll need:
1 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1/8 tsp salt
1 tbsp vanilla extract
7 ounces semi or bittersweet chocolate, chopped finely
2 tsp Frangelico

For the meringue you'll need:
4 large egg whites @ room temp.
3/4 cup sugar

Go ahead and grab the following tools so you'll be ready to go:
1 tart pan, buttered (or sprayed with God's gift to pastry lovers, Baker's Joy non-stick-flouring spray)
Hand mixer, or if you're one of the lucky ones a stand mixer w/ both paddle and whip attachment
Rubber spatula
Whisk
Heat proof glass or metal bowl for meringue

Step 1

Ready? Okay. First let's get our tart dough going. Take all those hazelnuts and spread them out on a baking sheet and slide them into the oven for about five to seven minutes. When you can smell them you know they're done. Mmmm. I love the smell of hazelnuts getting all roasty-toasty in the oven. Yum. Right after they come out gather them all up in a clean kitchen towel and rub them around to remove the skins. Now grab a big knife and chop 'em up nice and fine.

Step 2

Using either your hand mixer or your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes). Now mix in the Frangelico and salt. Add your flour in three additions, mixing on low speed until just incorporated. Toss in your chopped hazelnuts and finish mixing on low just until it's all combined. Gather up your dough into a nice little ball, wrap her in plastic wrap, and toss her in the fridge for about half an hour. I repeat, let her rest in the fridge for at least thirty minutes. Otherwise bad things will happen and I won't take responsibility for them. It's all on you, friend.

Step 3

Hokay. Now that you're dough is nice and chilled (it is, right?) go ahead and grab it from the fridge. Press it in to your buttered/sprayed tart pan in an even layer, making sure that the dough goes all the way up to the edge. Bake it off in your 350 oven for about 12 to 15 minutes until it turns a pretty golden brown. Don't worry if the bottom looks wrinkly, that's expected and we cover it up with ganache so nobody will see it.

Step 4

Time for ganache. Combine your cream, butter, salt, and vanilla in a sauce pan and bring it to a gentle boil. Place your chopped chocolate in a big bowl, pour the hot cream mixture on top, and let it hang out and get acquainted for about three to five minutes. Now whisk it until it's smooth and velvety and beautiful. Fill your tart shell with the ganache, almost all the way up to the top but not quite. Refrigerate at least thirty minutes or until the ganache is set (or if you're pressed for time or impatient like me, set it in the freezer to cut the chilling time in half).

Step 5

There are few things in life I love more than a good meringue. Place a sauce pan with about two cups of water on the stove and bring it to a boil. Now turn the heat down until your water is just lightly simmering. Put your whites and sugar in a heat-proof bowl and set it over the pot of simmering water, whisking constantly until all the sugar has melted and it's heated through (rub a little between your fingers to make sure all the sugar grains have dissolved). Remove from the heat and, using hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, whip on low speed for about five minutes and then on high speed for an additional five minutes until the meringue is stiff and shiny.

Step 6

Now go ahead and preheat your broiler. Pile your meringue on top of your tart making sure to take it all the way out to the edges covering all the ganache and sealing it tight. Using either your fingers or the back of a spoon pull and tease the meringue into crazy fun spikes. Stick the tart in the oven and broil for about one minute until the spikes get a nice golden brown on them but make sure you watch it because it can go from golden brown to burnt in a matter of seconds! Pull your tart out and my friend, there you have it. You're done!

Isn't she adorable? Don't you just wanna show her off and gobble her up all at the same time? And hey. If chocolate isn't your scene you can just as easily substitute the ganache for a delicious lemon curd or vanilla custard and get results that are just as satisfying. Now, I'm not going to make any specific dessert promises for next blog because I tend to be fickle and wishy-washy and what I bake depends on what I'm feeling, but I can promise you that I'll be back soon. I won't disappear on you for so long any more. You have my word. Okay, hope you have a fabulous tuesday. Maybe go eat a strawberry cupcake for me? They're delicious and I want one. In the words of one LJPe, "Peace out, girl scout!"

XOXO,
Mindy



2 comments:

  1. You are fabulous!! I feel as if I was right there with you. Now if only my sweets would come out looking like that . . .

    I like the name change as well. I am glad you are back you have given another unemployed friend/cousin something to look forward too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it!!!! I think I need to taste it and delight in it, but not necessarily share it :) Are you tracking with me on this one . . . Love you sweetness

    ReplyDelete